Does anyone remember last year when I said that I was going to knit from my stash
in 2007? I made a couple of exceptions to the rules at the outset. (1) Sock yarn was OK to buy. (2) I could also buy yarn to make gifts if I didn't have anything appropriate in the stash. (3) Yarn given to me wasn't counted.
Well, I DID IT
!!! 12 months with no buying anything other than sock yarn. And only 8 pairs of sock yarn stashed. I did buy a few things to make gifts with -- a baby sweater
and a pair of Sockapalooza socks
-- but most of the gifts even came out of the stash.
I also sold some of the stash to buy a spinning wheel, or traded stuff I wouldn't likely use for things I could make gifts with. And, I did buy some fiber for the wheel -- plenty to keep me busy at least until the spring fiber festivals.
But, I still have a lot of stash. Apparently, I stashed at a rate far exceeding my ability to knit. So, 2008 will be another year of "KNIT (and spin) FROM YOUR STASH
" for me.
Here are the slightly revised rules:
1) sock yarn is still an exception. However, as of right now, I have yarn for 18 pairs in the stash, 19 if you count the worsted weight that I have earmarked for another pair of Thujas
, and 20 if you count the large ball of yarn that I have remaining from a pair of itty bitty leg warmers
. I will get the sock stash down to 10 pairs before buying any more sock yarn.
2) Yarn to make gifts with is still OK. I love knitting for others, and I want to make sure that they love their knitted gifts, so the appropriate yarn is a must.
3) Souvenir yarn is OK. If I am on vacation or otherwise out of town, and I want to buy a special yarn that I can't get locally, that's souvenir yarn.
4) Yarn needed to finish a project is also OK. However, I always overbuy, so that's not likely to be an issue for me.
5) More spinning fiber is OK, once I spin at least half of what I have currently.
6) Yarn/fiber received as a gift is also OK.
I am really hoping that I can make it to the bottom of the stash, or at least close to it, sometime this year. Wish me luck!!